The beautiful Topaz gemstone – though available in many gorgeous colors like blue, green, red, pink, brown, gold, peach and even colorless – is usually known for its stunning yellow color.
The word Topaz means “fire” in Sanskrit. The birthstone of November, Topaz carries many interesting facts with it.
Here are some of these amazing facts that you must know about one of the best natural gemstones ever:
Facts Of Topaz Gemstone
- Legend has it that the term ‘Topaz’ comes from a small island in the Red Sea called Topazos. However, they were not Topaz; they were Peridot gemstones. At present, the same island is famous as Zabargad which now means Peridot in Arabic.
- Red-colored Topaz is highly valuable due to its rarity. This gemstone has most of the red coloring at the top and bottom of the gemstone.
- And the middle part of the gemstone has an orange color with pink undertones. Less than 1% of all Topaz gems exhibit this color.
- Imperial Topaz, named after the Russian Czars of the 18th and 19th centuries, was more use in the Imperial Jewels of Russia.
- With a rank of 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness, the Topaz gem is a durable and hard gemstone. But, it does require proper care to avoid chipping and cracking.
- In ancient times, Greeks believed that this gemstone could increase the strength of the wearer and provide much-needed help during hardships.
- Ancient Greeks also used the stone to make the wearer invisible. And as per the Egyptians, wearing this gemstone as an amulet could help in protecting them from injury.
- Many people think of Topaz as a light brown gemstone that is inexpensive and found in abundance. But, that’s not really the case. Topaz gemstones also come in high-quality varieties that demand great prices in the gem market.
- The gemstone is associated with faithfulness, friendship, devotion and commitment, which makes it a perfect gift for a wedding or anniversary. In fact, it is also the Wedding Anniversary Gemstone.
- When it comes to Topaz and its almost identical twin Citrine gemstone, both of them resemble so much that distinguishing between the two becomes almost impossible for a layman.
Some Other Facts:-
- A 1680 carat colorless topaz is one of the well-known Topaz gemstones ever found in the history of gemology. This gem beautifully adorns the Portuguese crown.
- The Topaz gemstone provides several benefits to the users. Wearing a Golden Topaz can help in treating low immunity, obesity, anxiety, stomach issues, diabetes, gallstones, and liver-related disorders, etc.
- During the Middle Ages, the gemstone was used to not only heal physical and mental issues but also to prevent death.
- This gemstone as a necklace can ward off sadness and grief. It can also help in improving the intellect of the wearer.
- One of the most popular sources of Topaz is Brazil. Some other famous producers of this gemstone include regions like Russia, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, and Germany.
- The exquisite pink-colored Topaz was first discovered in Russia during the 19th century. This highly precious gemstone was restricted for use only by the Czar, his family, and by those who were gifted with it.