Ruby is said to give name, fame, vigor, virtue, warmth and the capacity to command to its user.
It can also raise the individual far above the status in which he was born. Historically, it has been symbolic of love and passion. This is normally red in color. Ruby is a hot stone.
On diseases front: Ruby helps cure peptic ulcer, fever, rheumatism, gout etc. However prolonged use may cause boils, itch, and insomnia as well.
Do consult an astrologer or a gemologist before wearing this or any other stone. Ladies should avoid the use of Ruby as it can destroy the body luster.
Ruby should be used in gold in third or ring finger of right hand on Sunday. Ideally should be of about 3 or 5 grams in weight.
Physical Properties of Ruby Stone
The name Ruby comes from Latin ‘Rubrum’, which means ‘Red’. Ruby, which is corundum, is simply crystallized alumina (Al2O3) and in pure form, it is devoid of color.
The rich color in Ruby is mainly due to small amounts of chromic oxide, which is able to replace part of alumina without disturbing the trigonal crystal structure.
It has a specific gravity of 3.99. The Mean Refractive Index is 1.765 and the hardness is 9 on the Moh’s scale.
The Source of Ruby Gemstone
Burmese rubies are the most valuable member of the corundum family. Ruby is demanded for its gem quality. The Burma mining of ruby gemstone was initiated almost 500 years ago.
Ruby is found in Burma, Thailand, Sri Lanka, East Africa, Kenya, Nepal, Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan. The best Rubies are from the Magok district of Burma. Thai Rubies are comparatively less attractive and the Rubies found in Sri Lanka are pink.
How to Identify Ruby Gemstone
- Natural Ruby stone never ‘clean’ i.e., without inclusions. They contain inclusions which look like ‘silk’.
- Natural Ruby encloses small crystals of other minerals, in the form of pale angular grains, cavities of irregular shapes, patches of fine needle-like crisscrossing canals which give a silky effect by reflecting light.
- If these inclusions are not visible to the naked eye, then the eyeglass should be used to detect them.
- If even under high magnification no such inclusions are visible, then the Gem you are checking is most probably a piece of glass.
- A synthetic Ruby will either not contain any inclusions or else it will have bubble-like inclusions, or cracks, as seen in a glass, will be visible. The cracks will give a milky hue and will be of an even nature.
Wearing Method of Ruby Stone (Manik)
It’s very important before wearing any gemstone we should know it’s methods and the importance of every stone.
- Ruby gemstone should ideally weigh at least 1/10th in carats of your body weight. (70 kg body weight = 7 carat stone).
- Ruby gemstone should be mounted in Gold or Silver to experience the good results.
- It should be washed with fresh milk in the morning and then while chanting the mantra it should be worn.
- The weight of Ruby/Manik should not be less than 3 Ratti. More the weight of Ruby, greater its effect.
- It should be worn on Sunday at morning between 5 am to 6 am.
- Ruby gemstone should be worn in ring finger of right hand and stone must touch your skin.