Ruby is said to give name, fame, vigor, virtue, warmth and the capacity to command its user.
It can also raise the individual far above the status in which he was born. Historically, it has been symbolic of love and passion. Ruby gemstone is normally red. Ruby is a hot stone.
On the diseases front: Ruby helps cure peptic ulcer, fever, rheumatism, gout etc. However, prolonged use may cause boils, itch, and insomnia.
Consult an astrologer or a gemologist before wearing this or any other stone. Ladies should avoid using Ruby as it can destroy the body luster.
Ruby should be used in gold on the third or ring finger of the right hand on Sunday. Ideally should be about 3 or 5 grams in weight.
Physical Properties of Ruby Stone
Ruby comes from Latin ‘Rubrum,’ which means ‘Red.’ Ruby, which is corundum, is simply crystallized alumina (Al2O3) and is devoid of color in pure form.
The rich color of Ruby is mainly due to small amounts of chromic oxide, which can replace part of alumina without disturbing the trigonal crystal structure.
It has a specific gravity of 3.99. The Mean Refractive Index is 1.765, and the hardness is 9 on the Moh’s scale.
The Source of Ruby Gemstone
Burmese rubies are the most valuable member of the corundum family. Ruby is in demand for its gem quality. The Burma mining of ruby gemstones was initiated almost 500 years ago.
Ruby is found in Burma, Thailand, Sri Lanka, East Africa, Kenya, Nepal, Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan. The best Rubies are from the Magok district of Burma. Thai Rubies are comparatively less attractive, and the Rubies in Sri Lanka are pink.
How to Identify Ruby Gemstone
- Natural Ruby stone is never ‘clean,’ i.e., without inclusions. They contain inclusions that look like ‘silk.’
- Natural Ruby encloses small crystals of other minerals in the form of pale, angular grains, cavities of irregular shapes, and patches of fine needle-like crisscrossing canals that give a silky effect by reflecting light.
- If these inclusions are not visible to the naked eye, then the eyeglass should be used to detect them.
- If, even under high magnification, no such inclusions are visible, then the Gem you are checking is most probably a piece of glass.
- A synthetic Ruby will either not contain any inclusions or else it will have bubble-like inclusions, or cracks, as seen in a glass, will be visible. The cracks will give a milky hue and will be even.
Wearing Method of Ruby Stone (Manik)
It’s very important before wearing any gemstone, we should know its methods and importance of every stone.
- Ruby gemstone should ideally weigh at least 1/10th in carats of your body weight. (70 kg body weight = 7 carat stone).
- Ruby gemstones should be mounted in Gold or Copper to experience good results.
- It should be washed with fresh milk in the morning, and then while chanting the mantra, it should be worn.
- The weight of Ruby/Manik should not be less than 3 Ratti. More the weight of Ruby, the greater its effect.
- It should be worn on Sunday morning between 5 am to 6 am.
- Ruby gemstones should be worn on the ring finger of the right hand, and the stone must touch your skin.